This morning was a Field Trips with Sue day on CBS Better Mornings Atlanta.With all the snow talk this week, combine with the fact that January is Learn to Ski month, we focused our first segment of Field Trips with Sue on CBS Better Mornings Atlanta on Ski deals. For our second segment, we stayed closer to home talking about things to do in Atlanta for MLK weekend and the next two weeks. Many of these activities are Free! Here’s more details on what we discussed, as well as a link to the actual video segments (just in case you weren’t glued to your TV in the wee hours of the morning.
In our first hour on Field Trips with Sue on CBS Better Mornings Atlanta (click link for video), we talked Ski Deals. Here’s a few.
- Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month This website is devoted to getting you on skis. In addition to information on what to expect, they also have a list of hundreds of deals on skiing throughout the country.
- Liftopia This website offers discount ski and snowboard passes and packages, as well as up-to-date conditions. My favorite part about this site – if you have a favorite ski resort, sign up for updates on deals from that specific resort.
- Closer to home, Beech Mountain NC is about five hours away has several midweek deals (and Monday MLK day is considered a weekday, not a holiday at Beech). $99 stay and ski package, a $101 learn to ski package with includes lodging or if you have your own place to stay or just want to go for the day they have a $45 Learn to Ski deal for the month of January with includes all rentals, lift ticket and a lesson.
- ColoradoSki.comis a great site to find deals at several independent ski resorts including Copper Mountain only 70 west of Denver. Copper offers free lift access for beginners to their bunny slope. Once your ready to go, a lift ticket for Pithfork – the beginner chairlift is only $15 – great for those who aren’t ready for the big mountain. Check out their kids ski, eat and tube free package as well.
For more ski deals and tips for new skiers, see our post on
In our second hour of Field Trips with Sue on CBS Better Mornings Atlanta (click link for video) we talked about things to do in Atlanta, many are even Free!
- Gwinnett Gladiators MLK special Looking for something to do on MLK day? The Gwinnett Gladiators is offering a special kids day out. For $12 you can get a ticket to the 12:30 game, a hot dog, soda and a post-game autograph party. This deal is only available through the advanced ticket office, and you must reserve your tickets by Friday. Click here to order tickets for the Gwinnett Gladiators Kids Day Out.
- Atlanta History Center The Atlanta History Center is offering Free Admission to the museum in honor of MLK Day. If you can’t make it then, come on Jan. 29 from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. when the museum is free as part of the ACVB’s Celebrating 100 Years of Hospitality.
- Braves Caravan The Atlanta Braves are hitting the road again on their pre-season Braves Caravan. Players, coaches, alumni and broadcasters and team executives will make 25 stops across the SE to visit with fans and sign autographs. The first stop is on Jan. 22 in Cumming, GA. and Atlanta on Jan. 23 and Snellville on Jan. 25.
- Atlanta Opera If sports isn’t your thing, the Atlanta Opera is hosting a free showcase performance on Sat. Jan. 26 at 7pm. It’s the culmination of their 24 hour Opera Project, where teams have 24 hours to compose, stage, and rehearse a 10 minute opera. Great way to sample the medium or introduce kids to Opera.