What: Thanksgiving Weekend Activities
Where: High Museum of Art (link High.org), 1280 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309 | 404-733-4444
When: Friday, Nov. 23 – Sunday, Nov. 25, 2013
Cost: $19.50 adults, $12 Children 6-17 and $16.50 for Seniors 65+ and Students (ID required)
The High Museum of Art is one of my favorite places to take kids. Yes, kids. They have some wonderful family programming that includes Toddler Thursdays, The Green Family Gallery, and Discovery Backpacks. They even have special programming throughout the year specifically for teens!
For the holiday season, and specifically the weekend after Thanksgiving, the High has some special holiday programming centered on the latest exhibit Fast Forward: Modern Moments 1913>>2013. The exhibit includes 164 works from the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The pieces are by 105 of the most inspiring artists of our time, including Picasso, Matisse, Dali, O’Keeffe, Koons and more.
Once you’ve seen the artwork, take in special performances or become a modern artist with hands-on workshops that can keep everyone from baby Jane to Grandpa Joe happy. Here’s what they have in store.
Day After Thanksgiving: Modern Materials
Friday, November 23, 2012 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
What goes well with a leftover turkey sandwich? Modern art, of course! Join us the day after Thanksgiving for some artful experimentation at the High. We’ll spend the day watching special performances, listening to great music, and investigating the different types of materials that our modern art friends use in Fast Forward: Modern Moments 1913>>2013. Don’t miss this opportunity to burn off your turkey and stuffing by making art, taking in great performances, and strolling through the High’s galleries.
Holidays at the High
Saturday, November 24, 2012 through Monday, December 31, 2012
Bring your family to the High this holiday season for art-making experiences that are fun for everyone.
- November 24 and 25, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Use your printmaking skills to design a garland fit for a modern holiday.
- December 24 and 26–31, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Looking for a holiday treat that won’t add any extra pounds? Make some felt pastries inspired by Claes Oldenburg’s Pastry Case. It’ll be a sweet treat that you cannot eat!
Holiday Artist Market
Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Join us at the High Museum of Art and meet ten of Atlanta’s top local artisans. Find exceptional gifts for adults and children, including handblown glass, custom-made jewelry, and more!
The Holiday Artist Market will feature:
- Book signing by Chef Sonya of Sweet Auburn Bread Company (2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Jewelry artists Marci Fried, Charles Reinike, Monica E. Lewis, and Jenifer Lyons
- Glass artistry from Shadows Unlimited Designer Don Meadows
- Humanity Dolls by artist Paige Martin
This is a sponsored post by the High Museum of Art